One of the challenges we face today is treatment planning and sequencing implant placement. One decision is whether to use immediate placement or delayed placement of the fixture. We also have to decide how to manage the implant site and extraction. Hard tissue augmentation or preservation may be indicated, along with soft tissue augmentation.Of course once we decide which procedures are recommended and the timing, we then have to make specific decisions on how those procedures will be accomplished. Dr. Ronald Jung presented a systematic way to look at these options and sort through them based on the clinical parameters of the case. These two posts will share that system with you.
Extraction with Immediate Placement:
- Use in Non-Esthetic Areas, like premolars.
- Use in the esthetic zone when excess tissue is present pre-operatively
- Use in the esthetic zone when patient has low esthetic expectations and a low lip line.
- Use when the patient’s primary concern is short treatment time, and they are willing to accept esthetic risk.
Hard Tissue preservation/Augmentation:
- Tooth Extraction with a bone defect of >50%.
- When using an open flap technique during placement.
- As part of an implant reconstruction.