If the number of television commercials for sleep medications is any indication inadequate sleep has become an epidemic. It is estimated that as much as 30% of the adult population suffers from obstructive sleep apnea, which can cause significant medical consequences if left untreated. We have an opportunity when patients come in for routine dental visits to talk with patients about sleep and help them identify if there are reasons for more investigation.
STOP-BANG is a quick and easy questionnaire that can help you and your patients find out if they are at risk of having OSA. Patients who report more than three yes answers on the questionnaire should consult with a physician who may recommend a sleep study to definitively diagnose the presence of obstructive sleep apnea. In addition to the questionnaire you will need to have a centimeter tape measure and a simple bathroom scale.
1. Snoring :Do you snore loudly (louder than talking or loud enough to be heard through closed doors)?
2. Tired:Do you often feel tired, fatigued or sleepy during the daytime?
3. Observed:Has anyone observed you stopping breathing during your sleep?
4. Blood pressure:Do you have or are you being treated for high blood pressure?
5. BMI : BMI more than 35?
6. Age: Age over 50 years old?
7. Neck circumference: Neck circumference greater than 40cm?
8. Gender: Gender-male?