Keeping a tooth isolated during an adhesive process is one of the greatest challenges. Part of this process if you are using a total etch technique is suctioning off the etchant and then rinsing. Sounds reasonably simple, but doing this without the patient needing to swallow, moving their tongue to protect the back of their mouth and gagging is the real issue. For years I have coached dentists to have their assistant place the high volume suction tip directly over the etchant to pull as much of it off the tooth as possible before rinsing. This part of the technique is essential as the etchant is an acid, and when it hits the tongue, saliva begins to flow, and now the field is wet, and the patient has an urge tot swallow. I have used this technique for years and swear by it, until today.
My last patient of the day was a six-year-old and we are charged with completing sealants on all four six year molars. Definitely a two person procedure, so my assitant had everything set up and then we began. As I was ready for her to suction the etchant gel, I look over and she has a surgical high volume disposable suction tip. Carefully to removes every stitch of the blue gel. Then we follow with a saliva ejector in the back corner of the mouth while I rinse and dry.
It was by far the smoothest way I have ever suctioned off the gel, was able to not have any of the acid trigger salivation or a sour taste and swallowing reflex. The sealants went on smoothly, and I will be having the room set up with one of the disposable surgical suction tips any time we have etchant gel out as part of the procedure.
Richard Benfield says
I have been reading your information on your website and an so impressed by your knowledge and all the important insights you share! I had a question I hope you can help me with.
Today I had my front two top teeth bonded to fill a gap between them. This is about the 5th time I’ve had it done because it always keeps breaking. Anyway, today during the bonding process, I had a horrible taste of some kind of solution in my mouth that was going down my throat that the dentist applied. I tried my best not to swallow it by I know some went down my throat. Hours later, it still is bothering my throat and making my stomach a little upset. As I said, I’ve had bonding done SEVERAL times in the past and NEVER had this taste before. I am wondering if the dentist used too much solution? I asked him about it and he said it was a “acid” flavored thing called Dental Etch. Is this toxic to me? I am scared I had too much toxic stuff go down my throat and into my body? Could there be anything besides this that was also making this horrible taste?